Press Release – US 🇺🇸
Please run this release immediately, with the following header
Mum’s not the word – Childless Childfree
ABOUT THE BOOK
A groundbreaking photobook about women without children. The nude images challenge the negative attitudes within society towards women who are not mothers, and the text shares their stories of birth and death, choice, freedom, pain ... and regret.
50 colour images show real nude women in the foetal position: they come from all walks of life – professionals, artists: a few have mental health issues or disabilities; some have fragile relationships with their birth mother; a couple identify as other than heterosexual.
Mum’s not the word debates the social stigmatisation of women, who, by choice, circumstance or, for whatever reason, go against the instinct for childbirth and maternal productivity.
Mum’s not the word by Denise Felkin
AVAILABLE AUGUST 2019!
• Nude photographic images representing contemporary issues
• Challenges the motherhood myth, women do not have to be walking wombs
• Female art, women taking control, all-female project with real body shapes and sizes
• It's not simply a case of women not wanting or unable to have children
• Statistics show that an increasing number of women remain childless, currently around 20% in the UK
• No other book visually represents this aspect of motherhood
• Challenges negative stereotypes: women without children are not selfish, half-women, spinsters, crazy cat ladies or barren
• Tackles women's issues about infertility, family planning and birth control.
• Deals with environmental issues and sustainability; offers a solution to global issues of over-population in the modern age
• Award-winning photography: Denise has been a finalist in several major photography awards
–––– NOTES TO EDITORS ––––
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Denise Felkin is a British photographer. Her photography migrates between creative portraiture and documentary photography. She is driven by research-led projects, and collaborates with her subjects to create cutting-edge images that speak about current issues, to reveal a truthful voice, and promote unity, equality and compassion.
When Denise was nineteen, she told her mother that she did not want children. Her mother immediately dismissed her admission, and said she would feel differently when she was older; she never did. Now aged fifty, Denise has conceived a book of images of women who do not have children.
Denise was a finalist in the Sony World Photography Awards 2016, National Open Art 2017, and received an Honorable Mention in the Julia Margaret Cameron Award: Women Seen by Women 2018.
Place of birth: Tamworth, Staffordshire • Hometown: Brighton • Nearest city:
E5370 • Hardback • 11.69 x 7.79 in • $25.99 • 112 pages • 50 colour pictures • ISBN: 978-1-787113-70-1 • UPC: 6-36847-01370-7
For information about distribution of Veloce’s books in the United States and Canada, please contact John Groton, Director of Distribution Services email@example.com or 978-282-3562
View sample pages and sample text on our website - https://www.veloce.co.uk or request at firstname.lastname@example.org
Front cover images in various resolutions are available from Veloce: email email@example.com with your request.
You can also download a high-resolution cover image directly from the book page on our website.
Veloce books are stocked by (or can be ordered from) bookshops by quoting the correct ISBN number. We also take orders direct: telephone +44 1305 260068, fax +44 1305 250479 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Books can also be ordered on our website – https://www.veloce.co.uk or from https://www.quartoknows.com/Quarto-Drives and other web retailers.
Twitter (Veloce): https://twitter.com/Velocebooks
Twitter (Hubble & Hattie): https://twitter.com/HubbleandHattie
Facebook (Veloce): https://www.facebook.com/VelocePublishing
Facebook (Hubble & Hattie): https://www.facebook.com/hubbleandhattie
Note: All details subject to change.